Monday, October 24, 2011

~~~Joe's birthday trip to Longwood Gardens~~~

HI everyone! Well, yesterday was Joe's birthday and he decided he wanted to go to Longwood and walk around. It was a GORGEOUS day, just perfect weather. I took a few shots in the car on the way to try to get some of the color on the trees. Then a shot at the entrance.

 Here are some beautiful pink mums. They were alongside a bed of cactus with pink blooms.
 This sight was a SHOCK! We have never seen these beds empty! BUT, there is a reason.....
 They are planting tulips for next spring! The lady told us that they had planted 17,000 (yes that is THOUSAND) on Sat. and would be planting 8 to 10,000 yesterday!!! That is only a fraction of all the bulbs, there are over 100,000 bulbs planted every year!!!!!


 Then we moved on to Pierce's Woods. Joe loves this area.

 Some pretty color on these trees.
 I captured Mr. Squirrel I assume gathering some nuts for winter!!!


 I wanted SO bad to pick some of these hydrangeas, drying on the bush. I love the brown color!!!

 There is a beautiful pond here where the geese like to hang out.
 The kids that visit love to play here in this huge tree house!!!
 This is a beautiful weeping willow tree.

 We should do this too. We have deer that eat many of our bushes in the winter. I guess it is "natural pruning", LOL

 Huge waves of Pineapple sage!
 The roses are still blooming so beautifully.
 The grounds seemd to be in a state of "transition". This is the fountains and lights. They do fountain shows where the fountains are lit up and "dance" to music!!

 The bell tower. It was actually chiming as I snapped this picture.
 Here we are at one of Joe's favorite spots on the grounds.
 This is an amazing train set up. They change the display every year. It is set up in the Spring and stays til January, then it is all taken down and a totally new arrangement is set up next year!!!!
 It is amazing! And the mums etc. look SO pretty!






 This is MY favorite display in the Fall. HUGE pumpkins and LOTS of gourds.

 Can you guess what this one weighs????
 WOW!!! BUT, it isn't the biggest one!
 Does my butt make this pumpkin look fat????:):):)

 Finally we got to the conservatory. This is an amazing display that also changes for each season.
 COLORFUL croton.
 Wait til you see this!!!
 All these different mums are grafted onto ONE stem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is ONE bush!!!! Each one is labeled.

 These are parasols that are hung from the ceiling of the conservatory.
 And, the water lilies are still blooming too!
 This one was huge, about 8-10 inches across!
 These are mum arches!!!!

 The base of the arches. The flowers are always displayed in such imaginative ways! Wouldn't it be nice to have an ARMY of people maintaining your gardens!
 AND, I spied something else: they have started to wrap the trees with Christmas lights!!!! The Christmas display is something to behold!!!!!

I hope you have enjoyed your tour of beautiful Longwood Gardens. After, we went to Chadds Ford Tavern for a late lunch/early dinner. We had some ham, cabbage and bean soup and roast beef sandwiches. I am going to try to make the soup, it was delicious. If I come up with a recipe,I will share it with you. XO, Pinky
I am joining Kim for Wow Us Wed. at http://www.savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/  Please visit her party to see some awesome things!!!!

17 comments:

  1. I love Longwood Gardens! I went there with friends 2 years ago - also in the fall and it was just beautiful. I love your pictures. I don't remember seeing the trains there when we went. I should plan a trip back with my kids so they can see the trains at Christmas time! Thanks for stopping by the other day with your sweet comments on my Halloween table/counter setting!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Pinky - what an amazing place that must be. Wish I lived close enough to visit! I wanted to let you know that I've passed the Versatile Blogger Award to you. Here's the link to my blog post about it: http://worthingcourt.blogspot.com/2011/10/award-and-things-you-may-not-know-about.html
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The visit to Longwood Gardens is lovely. That's one hefty pumpkin! How exciting that 100,000 tulips will bloom in early Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I loved seeing the bulbs before they are covered up. Those spectacular pumpkins don't even look real. Wouldn't it be fun to grow something like that? Thanks for bringing us along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Pinky what a nice trip!! LOVE those mums and the hydrangeas too!! MY neighbor has some I have been dying to pick a couple, but I never see her, and she does not do anything with them. Can't believe those pumpkins!! THanks for stopping by!! You and your Brown Drip...breaks my heart, lol!! I cannot believe you of all people would get rid of it, lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing place. I love every bit of this post, but the kids tree house stole my heart, so lovely. I wish I could see this place for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great photos! what a fun trip you had. Happy belated birthday to Joe!

    joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinky don't you just love Longwood? I have been there 3-times and I'd go everyday if I lived closer! So much to see and take in.
    I hope Joe had a great time!
    xo,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pinky, this is fabulous. Such breathtaking pictures. I know your hubby was in seventh heaven.

    Gorgeous!!

    Happy birthday, Joe.

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pinky, I adore Longwood! It is gorgeous any time of year. But there is just something magical about the conservatory at Christmas! Sounds like you and Joe had a very romantic and wonderful birhtday outing!
    Say Happy Birthday to Joe from me and Bobby. Let's get together with our guys very soon!
    See you on Thursday!
    xo Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my stars!!!! That place is phenomenal!! Those are mums and THAT is a tree house!! Wow!!! So glad you had a wonderful day and Happy Late Birthday Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to spend a birthday! Those are beautiful grounds - I especially love those huge water lilies.

    Tks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for bringing back some nice memories for me. We used to go here when I lived in NJ. The last time I was there was right after Chrstmas over 15 years ago and it was SO COLD and then so warm in the Conservatory. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh pinky, i loved the tour....everything is so beautiful! Looks like a wonderful place for a birthday celebration...
    Happy birthday to Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We grew up in South Jersey and going to Longwood Gardens was such a treat! It's as beautiful as ever! Thank you so much for giving me a little trip down memory lane!
    And thanks for visiting our blogs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness! What beautiful photos! I love the mums and the fall foilage. Oh my! I would love to see all those tulips in bloom next spring!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful photos. That is the time of year that I visited the gardens and how funny to see that I commented years ago! Thanks for linking up both of your posts to the Take Me Away party! I usually do a recap post the Tuesday before the next link party (in June) so be sure to stop back to read about all the trips. Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for leaving your lovely comments. xo, Pinky

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...