Wednesday, April 30, 2014

~~~Hold my Hand~~~~

The other day, our dear KariAnne told a story. A story about love, and support, and the REAL meaning of love. It remended me that I have a story to tell too. I have been married to my hubby for almost 47 years now. NO ONE gave us 3 weeks. But we were in love, or what we thought was TRUE LOVE, at the time. Over these almost 47 years we have learned that REAL love is not in the dazzling moments, but the every day. Little things he does that say, "I love you", "I am HERE for you", and always will be. My Mom died in 1991, way too young...for both of us. I had taken care of her, in our house for the last 5 years. She was very ill and was admitted to the hospital so many times that one time in the cafeteria a lady asked me what department I worked in! I practically lived in that hospital. When she died my sister and I planned the funeral and I just could NOT bury her without saying something. I could not let her live her life and not have it acknowledged in some way. So I wrote a poem to read at the funeral. When the priest said I was to come up to the altar, my hubby walked beside me. He stood beside me at the podium and handed me this:


Hold my hand
Feel my strength
 Be stoic and brave
 DO IT FOR YOUR MOTHER



THAT almost undid me but it also gave me the courage to DO IT. I was nervous, and weepy but got through my poem. We had had a rocky relationship, but I always loved her. Through it all I loved her and still do. I miss her and have many regrets about things I never said. But I realize I did the best I could. "When you know better, you do better". That is one of my favorite quotes.



Love to you all,
Pinky

6 comments:

  1. I know that is also true for me and perhaps lots of others. My mom died in 1985, and since I was 330 miles away, my poor daddy had to nurse her in her last months. I never got to say things I wanted to because it was too late, she couldn't hear or understand me. I think they know how we truly feel, even if we don't say it enough.

    Your husband? He's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice thoughts, Pinky, especially for Mother's Day. Sometimes we take our hubby's for granted. But they're always there holding us up when we need it and even when we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinky,
    This post is truly a beautiful tribute to your Mother, your husband, Joe and to YOU!!!
    I think the way we live our lives is a true reflection of the love passed from Mother to child! I am assured that your Mother is very proud of the Woman you've become!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is so sweet Pinky. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Sweet Pinky, thanks for sharing!I loved this story, brought a tear to my eyes! Hugs to you, my friend!
    Jules (dzynbyjules)

    ReplyDelete

  6. Today i was thinking lot about my mother and happened to read your story that brought tears in my eyes..i lost my mom in 2005 when i was in Mumbai and i was not me when i came down.Sad day in my life and i miss her everyday.Hugs to you..:):)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for leaving your lovely comments. xo, Pinky

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...